Forum
Solution4Pain.com

The Importance of walking

For the discussion of MBF Posture Therapy

Moderator: admin

The Importance of walking

Postby Dan Monahan on Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:10 pm

Hi

Just reading the article "The Importance of Walking" on this website. I totally agree with this, but one question I have?!

If a person is in a dysfunctional state, one hip higher than the other in my case, and pelvis unstable, with a side shift, therefore walking causes me great agony. So should I try and walk more, to break up the constant sitting I do, as I am seated for 7+ hours a day, plus 20min driving, and then usually sitting down in the evening at home. I am currently following an Egoscue program, but wanted to know should I try and increase the amount I walk, even thought the pain is there, and I mean alot of pain down the front of my left quad and in my left QL?!

Or should I simply carry on with my corrective exercise program, it is going well, but the walking and standing is still causing me alot of problems...

Many thanks
Dan :)
Dan Monahan

Re: The Importance of walking

Postby Michael Jen on Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:18 pm

You shouldn't be enduring any increase in pain, If something hurts worse when doing it, your body is probably telling you that it is not ready for that particular activity or movement. As far as what you should and should not be doing, that is something that you and your therapist should be discussing. I can't really tell you specifically what you should do because I don't know the specifics of your condition/situation.
Michael Jen

Licensed MBF Practitioner
Michael Jen
Site Admin

Postby Dan Monahan on Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:18 am

Ok thanks for your reply Michael.

I was just wondering as being seated is shortening muscles, and being inactive, is causing muscles to lie dormant, that we need to become more active, but if being more active causes loads of pain, then surely it's a catch 22 situation. I will discuss with my therapist, think it's just a waiting game really, wait till my muscles are becoming more functional and more posture starts to correct itself.

Thanks
Dan
Dan Monahan

Postby Michael Jen on Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:24 am

I like I mentioned, there may be other activities that could be recommended if walking is painful. If a person is such a bad situation that there are no other activities that can be done, then the person may be in a situation in which they need to do their program multiple times each day.
Michael Jen

Licensed MBF Practitioner
Michael Jen
Site Admin

Return to Muscle Balance and Function Posture Therapy