Forum
Solution4Pain.com

Obstacle course

For the discussion of MBF Posture Therapy

Moderator: admin

Obstacle course

Postby Randall Koch on Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:05 am

Hey Michael,

From a previous email you stated you were going to have your MBF instructor visit you in January and help you set-up an obstacle course so you could integrate it into your MBF programs. I wanted to find out how that was going, what kind of obstacles were (or will) be created, and what each obstacle was designed to do for the person using it.
Randall Koch

Postby Michael Jen on Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:22 am

Designing an obstacle course is actually pretty simple. I had an idea of how to do it and my instructor simply confirmed my thoughts.

Here's the general idea behind it....

The human body is a partially self-correcting mechanism (I saying that it is partially self correcting as there are obvisouly times that people suffer serious traumas or diseases need medical assistance). It can fix itself if given the right stimulus, but the problem these days is that we don't give it the right stimulus. Most of the time people are too inactive and some of the time, people (especially athletes) are too active which results in the body's inability to correct itself.

The human body was designed by nature thousands of years ago based on natural movement. This functional movement is that humans did in order to survive. So with this in mind, here's a very interesting thought. With whatever postural problems you may have, which has led to various physical pains, if you were dropped off in the jungle or forest and had to survive (let just hypothetically say that you had the knowledge of how to survive), your body would eventually correct itself over time. Yes, that is right, your postural dysfunctions would clear out and your pain would go away without the use of anything like MBF or any other modality.

This would happen because your daily life would be constantly filled with natural functional movement. In today's modern society, we need to make time to put movement and exercise in our lives. If you were dropped off in the jungle or in a forest, movement would be essential to your survival.

So with this in mind, when designing an obstacle course, think about what kind of unstructured movement you would need to do or encounter in order to survive in the wilderness. This means you would no do structured calisthenics like push ups, pulls ups, lunges, etc... (By the way, I'm not saying that a person should never do push ups, pull ups, etc... I'm just referring to the type of obstacle course I like to design and the reason behind it).

So when I make an obstacle course, I simply go to a park that has a jungle gym. I use the jungle gym and other structures that are at the park and chart out a course that consists of as many different types of non-skill based natural movements. Be creative, but keep it non-skill based. This means it is movement that any child could and does not takes years of practice to perfect.

Personally, I have using obstacle courses on jungle gyms as my primary method of strength and conditioning training for the past few months. It has been very fun. Even though I have not lifted any weights of any kind (including kettlebells) since August of last year, I don't feel a single bit weaker during my martial arts training.

In addition, I have figured out how to use the obstacle course to heal my body along with my MBF programs and will talk about that later.
Michael Jen

Licensed MBF Practitioner
Michael Jen
Site Admin

Postby Michael Jen on Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:14 am

By the way, here an insane obstacle course!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zU6-42QL7NE&eurl=
Michael Jen

Licensed MBF Practitioner
Michael Jen
Site Admin

Return to Muscle Balance and Function Posture Therapy