Articles
Forum
Solution4Pain.com

Before my MBF meeting this Saturday

For the discussion of MBF Posture Therapy

Moderator: admin

Before my MBF meeting this Saturday

Postby Bill Hotter on Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:52 pm

I would just like to say hi to everyone who reads this forum.

To anyone who has chronic pain: I hope Mr. Jen is making your life more comfortable through movement.

My goal is to become a highly functional athlete once again. I’ve been a competitive athlete for most of my life. In this past year I’ve separated my shoulder, had knee surgery (meniscus) and most recently sprained the opposite knee. I thought that my competitive life was over. That I couldn’t run with the big dogs anymore.

I believe this will help me. I’m just noticing my own posture and natural movements. My view of life in a literal sense has changed.

Some of my worries are that Michael will say I have to temporarily stop Brazilian Jiu-jitsu and Yoga. I’m hoping to at least teach the beginner’s class on Tuesday nights for one hour.

Lots of walking
Obstacle course
Specially designed moves
Bike/swim…I hope.
Stretching/poses…
Diet?

I feel pretty good. I’m kind of walking around like the Tin Man. I’m not in Pan Am shape for sure. The Worlds will be in LA this summer. Maybe that is realistic.

Thanks for listening. I’ll talk to you later.

Bill
Bill Hotter

Postby Michael Jen on Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:53 pm

I'm not sure what you mean by "specially designed moves", but you can pretty much do everything besides yoga. Don't worry though because by doing MBF, your strength, flexibility, and balance will increase. In addition, MBF does use some modified yoga stretches. Eventually, you can get back into that.
Michael Jen

Licensed MBF Practitioner
Michael Jen
Site Admin

Postby Bill Hotter on Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:06 pm

Specially designed moves...My right leg seems to point to the right and my knee and ankle are not lined up. I'm guessing that there will be some kind of special movement exercise to correct that.

I'm probably thinking too much. I should go in with no preconceived notions. I have a habit of self diagnosing.
Bill Hotter

Postby Karl Tiburcio on Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:46 pm

Hi Bill,

I think you have nothing to worry about. I had reservations when Michael told me to stop certain exercises (ex. push ups) and I tried to find alternate ones, but ever since I stopped doing them, my progress seemed to go much faster. I have even stopped "working out" and just do my MBF program and walk whenever I can. I may do an obstacle course when I have time. I'm going through a family crisis right now and the MBF program helps to center my thoughts and reduce my stress levels.

I'm not an athlete. Just a regular joe who tries to do bjj, living with a chronic disease. I think you will be pleasantly surprised if you just apply what Michael tells you. I think it was one of the best things to happen in my life.
Karl Tiburcio

Postby Bill Hotter on Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:45 am

Thanks Karl,

Michael was fantastic. Immediately following the lessons, I felt like I had a massage. Later, I felt a post yoga sensation. Now I feel like I went to the chiropractor. He connects MBF to bjj in such an “ ah hah” way.

It’s only day one. I can’t get too excited. It’s going to be a long haul. Thank you very much Mr. Bolo.
Bill Hotter

Postby Michael Jen on Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:53 am

Bill,

The positive feeling you are experiencing is your body slowlying moving towards a neutral center of gravity. To all the people who do MBF programs, this feeling is great, however, it is important to remember that this is the way the body is naturally supposed to feel all the time. If you look at a young child, this is how they feel all the time. This feeling is amazing to us adults because our bodies have deviated so far from its intended design. You have now taken the first step to re-awakening your body's full potential.

I've only shared the information on postural alignment and jiu-jitsu with a handful of people. Part of the reason is that the BJJ community is not really accustomed to listening to lectures as most of the training is hands on. Hopefully more BJJ practitioners will be more receptive to this info in the future.
Michael Jen

Licensed MBF Practitioner
Michael Jen
Site Admin

Return to Muscle Balance and Function Posture Therapy