Articles
Forum
Solution4Pain.com

chaining injuries.....

For the discussion of MBF Posture Therapy

Moderator: admin

chaining injuries.....

Postby Radek Sefcik on Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:51 pm

All right. Couple days ago, I injured my right ankle while working my stand up game. Not much deal I though. I have been working on my MBF almost 1 year and I feel that my body is pretty functional. Well, boy I was wrong :x . The very next day, I already felt sore lower back .. ...the thing which I have not experienced for more then 7-8 months/ even not after 2-3 hard training sessions a day!/. Well, you know, my ankle was pretty good next day and little lower back discomfort here and there was quite fine. Another mystake :? So again, I headed to my gym and worked some BJJ and clinch game. During my clinch training I suddenly felt sharp pain in my neck area and it was over for that day.

I have worked on my daily MBF menu later in the evening, however it was too strong for my injury state. So I contaced Mike immediately and he rewrote my first aid menu right away.Today is first day after injury when I have been working on first aid menu, and it works awesome. However , its not point here.The main point is - sucking up injured - even minor and train with them can lead in to another injuries and eventualy make everything worse! Thats main point here. Now, I would like to see Mike´s opinion and explanation about " chaining" injuries process. Thanks a lot.

Radek
http://www.jkd.sk
Radek Sefcik

Postby Michael Jen on Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:50 pm

The original blueprint of your body's structure was based on being bilateral (both left and right halves being exactly the same). When you get an injury, it alters your entire body. Rather than being bilateral, your body becomes unilateral (one side is different from the other). When you become unilateral, this completely changes how your body loads it weight. This change in weight distribution is even worse considering that you originally injured your ankle and that is a joint that supports your body's weight when standing. The more unilateral your body becomes, the farther it deviates from its original blue print, and the structure of your body becomes less stable and weaker.

Your body's "core" is the hips. Being in martial arts you should know that power comes from the hips. When your weight distribution changes because of your injury, this makes your core unstable. With your hips out of balance, it affects everything around it. Your low back must now compensate for the instability in your core. If you think of your hips like the foundation of a building and your low back muscles as support beams; when there is a crack in the foundation, a lot more stress is placed on the the support beams.

You continued to train before your injury was healed and returning your body to a more bilateral state. In addition, that martial arts stuff that you were doing tends to be very unilateral movement. Unilateral movements on a very unilateral body is really bad because it only enhances that unilaterality.

When you fight in the clinch, having proper technique is important and a big part of that technique is having proper stance/positioning. For example, when fighting in the clinch, you can't be hunched over.

As you use your head and neck in the clinch and as your opponent is pushing and pulling on that area, you really have to use your neck muscles, however, with good technique, you are never solely isolating your neck muscles as you are truly using your entire body. As you trained in the clinch, you are trying to maintain proper stance/positioning, however, because of your injury, the foundation of your stance is unstable. Since your foundation is unstable, your neck muscles and upper back will compensate and exert more force that usual to make up for the instability in the rest of your body. But there is a point in which your neck and upper back muscles couldn't compensate any more and that's when it gave out.

So the moral of the story is- don' train until you have fully healed! :)
Michael Jen

Licensed MBF Practitioner
Michael Jen
Site Admin

Postby Radek Sefcik on Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:00 pm

Thanks a lot! But to tell you truth, its more mental thing for me. Deep inside I know that I am not 100% healed, but through so many years sucking up injuries and still going to gym I have developed really hard core mind set. So "don'n train until you have fully healed" statement is much easier said then done! :lol: And I think for almost every pro guy 8)

Great explanation,

Radek
Radek Sefcik

Postby Michael Jen on Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:18 pm

That mentality is hard obstacle for most dedicated athetes to overcome. Partially because people tend to think you are weak if you are not willing to work through pain and injury and the male ego tends to care too much.

Having learned a lot from painful experience, I now do not train until I am fully healed. I look at it 2 ways. First, over the course of an entire lifetime or career, not training for a few weeks or even months is nothing. Many hard core athletes who trained through injuries in the youth are now practically crippled and can't do their sport anymore.

Second, those who may criticize and tease you for not training through pain and injury are not paying your medical bills, making up for your lost wages, and taking care of you when your body does finally give out. So they may talk and tell you to keep going, but when your body gives out, they don't take any responsibility for the advice they pressured you into following.
Michael Jen

Michael Jen
Site Admin

Postby Radek Sefcik on Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:28 pm

Yes, I remember first time when I had serious knee injury more then 12 years ago..... the surgeon said me almost exact the same thing - back then./speaking about my potentional carreer,..etc./ And from that time , I decided to use "moderate" approach during minor injuries. However, by getting deeper MBF understanding, I "slowly" see that "moderate" is not accurate term:cry:

Radek
Radek Sefcik

Postby Rene Ritchie on Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:22 am

A few years back, I blew out my ankle while carrying lumber and trying to circumnavigate a car. It hurt so much, I just sat or lay down for a couple weeks. Then my calf began to seize and when I finally went to physio, they showed me how much muscle mass I'd lost on that one leg. I began to do physio and train, but then my planta facia on that leg tore. I did more physio and got orthodics, and a while later I strained my MCL, which led to yet more physio. After that, I began to have pain in my lower back, more physio moved it to my upper back, then neck. Physio claimed I had lack of articulation, so more sessions, but it would just chase the pain around and I was beginning to find myself in constant discomfort (compounded significantly, no doubt, by my job which keeps me behind a desk and computer 8-12 hours a day).

I missed a lot of training during that period, which was very frustrating and which leg me to go back before I was ready, time and time again, which created a sort of occilation between periods of extreme inactivity and extreme activity.

I can't say I've learned to fully recover before training, but I can say that the MBF program has given me a way, at least thus far, to vastly decrease my recovery time when injured, and something very closely akin to "maintenance" which has kept me from experiencing as many small, nagging injuries as I used to.

--
Rene Ritchie
http://www.wingchunkuen.com/
http://www.wijj.com/
Rene Ritchie

Postby Michael Jen on Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:28 am

I think it is easier for me to stay away from training until I am fully recovered because I have gotten to a certain level in my martial arts training. If it was much earlier in my martial arts career and I was at a lower level, I don't think I would be as willing to stop when needed.
Michael Jen

Michael Jen
Site Admin

Postby Rene Ritchie on Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:04 pm

At my lowly level, stopping for even a day is difficult :)
Rene Ritchie

Return to Muscle Balance and Function Posture Therapy