Articles
Forum
Solution4Pain.com

Sit/Stand Desks

For the discussion of MBF Posture Therapy

Moderator: admin

Sit/Stand Desks

Postby Michael Jen on Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:33 am

Sitting slouched over like a monkey at a desk (and for most people it is in front of a computer) for numerous hours non-stop is terrible on the body. For myself, I just invested in a electric sit/stand desk. With a push of a button, I can adjust the height of the desk so I will be able to switch between sitting, kneeling, and standing.

Usually, electric ones are pretty expensive, however, I found a place online that was selling certain models that they decided to discontinue, so they were 68% off and only $100 for shipping! Anyway, if anyone is interested, I ordered it from here:

http://www.workriteergo.com/shop/script ... ategory=26

Prior to the arrival of this desk, I have been standing when using my computer at my desk. I improvised by simply using some containers and boxes I had around the house to raise my monitor and keyboard to the appropriate height.
Michael Jen

Licensed MBF Practitioner
Michael Jen
Site Admin

Postby Radek Sefcik on Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:48 am

So does it mean, that you actualy combine sitting, standing and kneeling during daily work on PC? In the beginning, I just though that proper sitting was way to go for me. Now, I see that constant changing the proper positions is much better and more refreshing for body then isolating 1 position. Great stuff!!

Radek
Radek Sefcik

Postby Michael Jen on Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:07 pm

Keep in mind that sitting with all the proper 90 degree angles is better than sitting in hunched over and slouched. Sitting slouched deactivates all your posture muscles. But yes, changing positions is better than holding a static position for an extremely long time. The body was designed for movement!

With that being said, many people can't hold certain positions, like sitting with all the proper 90 degree angles, for more than a few minutes before their back muscles give out. There's no way to improve this besides just doing it and building the muscle endurance.
Michael Jen

Michael Jen
Site Admin

Postby Radek Sefcik on Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:21 pm

Cool. I know that working on my posture while doing "daily" activities" is key for faster progress. However I also know, that this type of stuff is EXREMELY exhausting and make my body tired really fast.Actualyl just after couple of minutes 40-50min - and I am almost dead:(

I remember, when you said me , that when you got tired after some time from sitting or standing you actually take a break and change position and/or go for walk! I was curious if you use any other way how to break that "exhausting" block and make your postural muscles work from different angles or perpective. Thanks again,

Radek
Radek Sefcik

Postby Michael Jen on Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:13 pm

Like mentioned earlier, you just need to mix it up between sitting, standing, and kneeling. In addition, yes, walk around to take breaks from those positions.

From my person experience, it was better able to hold the kneeling, sitting, and standing position once I was able to walk continuously for a couple hours without feeling tired or my muscles getting tight. When you stand and walk, the force is being distributed throughout your body, but when you do functional sitting, your back is handling most of the force. So if you can't to the "easier" version first, then you're going to be dying on the harder version.

I also found that is was my muscle endurance increased quickly when I held those positions every day. After a week, my muscle endurance increase dramatically. Think of it like the Wall Sit exercise. The first time you did it, you were dying. But after doing it every day, it became much easier for you.
Michael Jen

Michael Jen
Site Admin

Postby Radek Sefcik on Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:20 pm

Thats pretty cool! Today I just tried to switch between sitting and kneeling and it helps so much. I can tell you, I was able to "last" much more longer. I just need to get that "stand desk" in order to chalenge my body in to another positions. Great tips :lol:

Radek
Radek Sefcik

Postby Michael Jen on Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:55 pm

By the way, besides all the 90 degree angles that you are familiar with, try to get a 90 degree angle between the bicep/tricep area of your arm and your forearm. In addition, your forearms should be parallel to the ground.
Michael Jen

Michael Jen
Site Admin

Postby Radek Sefcik on Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:21 pm

yes, 90 degree angles has to be maintain :P

Radek
Radek Sefcik

Postby Michael Jen on Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:37 am

Here's an interesting article from CNN.com on the standing desK

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fsb/fsb_ ... 2007071007
Michael Jen