Forum
Solution4Pain.com

Sleeping Posture?

For the discussion of MBF Posture Therapy

Moderator: admin

Sleeping Posture?

Postby Rene Ritchie on Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:02 pm

Hi Michael,

Is there a preferable posture/position for sleeping? I try to maintain the 90d angles while sitting, and want to see if I can improve my waking comfort level by sleeping in a better position.

A few years ago I slept on my stomach, with my neck rotated to the left. After an injury forced me to change, I've been sleeping on my right side, usually with a pillow between the knees. I try to sleep on my back, but usually wake up on my side again.
Rene Ritchie

Postby Michael Jen on Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:36 pm

Some people find it comfortable to sleep on their side with a pillow between their knees or on their back with a pillow under their knees. However, I find that only really helps with people who have chronic low back pain.

The stiffness or aching you wake up with just a symptom of the problems you have. As you body improves, that discomfort will decrease and eventually disappear.

When my body eventually was pain free and got to a higher level of function, I no longer felt those aches when I woke up. However, when I injured my ankle, I started to feel the ache in my low back when I woke up occasionally. That really sucked because I knew what it felt like to be pain free so that discomfort was quite annoying to me. Once I fixed my body and ankle, the low back ache when sleeping also disappeared. I think that is also one reason I like to do my MBF program before I go to sleep as it tends to allow me to sleep and wake up a lot more comfortably.

I have also been told that the metal coils in most beds is not good for you and can cause problems.

When we are awake, we can put our bodies in certain positions and do things like MBF to decrease the problems in our bodies, however, when you are asleep, your brainwaves are working on a completely different level. Therefore, there's nothing you can do to try to improve your body while you are asleep. Of course a bad bed or pillow can make you worse and you may feel better by getting better ones, but you can't improve your body when sleeping the same way you can with exercise when you are awake.

If you look at young children, their bodies are fully functional and that is why they can sleep in any position.
Michael Jen

Licensed MBF Practitioner
Michael Jen
Site Admin

Return to Muscle Balance and Function Posture Therapy