Articles
Forum
Solution4Pain.com

TMJ

For the discussion of MBF Posture Therapy

Moderator: admin

TMJ

Postby Michael Jen on Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:02 pm

People with severe TMJ may experience serious discomfort. However, I realized that a most people actually have minor TMJ problems even if they don't have pain. For example, I have no pain, but my jaw would "click" if I opened my mouth really wide. It wouldn't click during talking or eat, just when I would open my mouth as wide as possible and then close it. My brother is a dentist and he said that most people have some sort of minor misalignment. Because so many people have it, dentists simply considered this as "normal".

I have been attempting to resolve some dental issues I have had and most of the things I have begun to change and done no longer follow standard dental practices. One of the things I have begun to do is to attempt to fix this misalignment in my jaw. I feel that a misalignment in the jaw, even if it is slight, must have a negative effect on the teeth and gums. I went to get opinions from various dentists in regards to fixing the misalignment of the jaw and the answers ranged from surgery to retainers. I felt that wasn't the answer since the jaw joint should be like any other joint which meant that the muscles determined the positioning of the joint.

I spoke to MBF creator, Geoff Gluckman, about this and found out that he used to have a problem with his jaw clicking and was able to correct the problem with some specialized exercises. I started to do these specialized exercises and, though my problem is not completely gone yet, my jaw is clicking less and I can feel that my jaw position has changed.

I'll keep you all update on how my progress goes with this TMJ issue and I am curious to see how it effects the rest of my dental health in the future.
Michael Jen

Licensed MBF Practitioner
Michael Jen
Site Admin

Return to Muscle Balance and Function Posture Therapy