My Story
Work
Sports
Therapy
Articles
Forum
Solution4Pain.com

New article on the importance of walking....

For the discussion of MBF Posture Therapy

Moderator: admin

New article on the importance of walking....

Postby Michael Jen on Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:10 pm

Go to the "Articles" section and check out the new article I just put up on the importance of walking.
Michael Jen

Licensed MBF Practitioner
Michael Jen
Site Admin

Postby Karl Tiburcio on Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:00 pm

Great article! So if one were to start adding walking to their daily routine, a good starting point would be 30 mins? Then progress to walking for time to counteract say 2 hours of inactivity and walk for 2 hours? Also, should the pace be fairly quick or just a speed which is normal for the particular person? Thanks!
Karl Tiburcio

Postby Michael Jen on Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:57 pm

Just start off walking at a normal speed. I started to walk quicker recently and definitely felt certain muscles working a lot harder. So start off easy and build your body up so it can handle longer time and increased speed.

30 minutes is a good place to start if you have decent athleticism. I've had some people start out with only 15 minutes because their lifestyle was completely inactive.

The equation doesn't have to be perfectly equal like that. Some forms of movement are more "powerful" than others. Plus, if someone is sitting at a desk for 6 hours, it's not like they can go take a 6 hour walk. I use the equation when I talk to people about their lifestyle simply to illustrate the HUGE imbalance that most people have between inactivity and meaningful movement. Thinking of that kind of equation is a good way to get people thinking about how they can make some changes so things are more equal.

In the past, I would go to the mall with my wife and after standing and walking for 3 hours, my back was killing me and my legs were so unbelievably tired. I felt the same discomfort when I took my kids to the park for numerous hours. My MBF program too care of the back pain, but as far as feeling tired, I had to just get out and walk and get my body use to it. I eventually built my ability to walk to surpass 3 hours because I did not like having such discomfort and fatigue doing something that was part of normal life. So I didn't start off saying that I needed to walk 3 hours to counteract 3 hours of inactivity. I looked at it more from the point of view of what happens in my normal life that gives me difficultly and then I made the necessary changes and did what I needed to do to so it no longer felt difficult. And coincidentally, when I started doing that, I saw that the equation began to slowly get closer to be being equal and occasionally the positive input even began to be greater than the negative.
Michael Jen

Licensed MBF Practitioner
Michael Jen
Site Admin

Return to Muscle Balance and Function Posture Therapy