Articles
Forum
Solution4Pain.com

MBF vs stand up game improvement....

For the discussion of MBF Posture Therapy

Moderator: admin

MBF vs stand up game improvement....

Postby Radek Sefcik on Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:15 pm

Well today while I coached stand up game - one of my student, I found out very interesting thing. My student had more then 3 weeks break from training. Before break, I gave him MBF menus from Geoff MBF CD..and he has been working on it every day. Well, today I noticed his HUGE improvement in leg action - moving, keeping proper balance, proper hip positioning during punching, increasing punching power,......etc.I can tell you , he has done more improvement during this 3 weeks "lay off" then during last 1-2 months training. It is simply AWESOME!!!!! Great stuff :lol:

Radek
Radek Sefcik

Postby Michael Jen on Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:31 pm

There are several reasons for this improvement; all of them being related to each other.

1. Every object has a center of gravity. Power is generated from your center of gravity. Let's say you have "perfect" posture. Your center of gravity would be in a certain spot. This is referred to as having a "neutral center of gravity". Any sort of postural deviation changes your center of gravity so it is no longer in a neutral position. This has a very big effect on a person's balance, mobility, and ability to generate power. For example, get into your fighting stance and lean most of your body weight on your left leg. You have now changed the position of your center of gravity (more to the left). Feel how leaning on your left side effects your ability to punch, especially with your right hand. Now move around. Notice how it feels more difficult to move to your right. Once your student began to do the MBF program, he began to move his center of gravity more towards the neutral position, thus his improvement in footwork, balance, power, etc...

2. As stated in one of the articles that I wrote, muscles doing the job they were designed to do will always be stronger than muscles doing the job it was not designed to do. So, by doing his program, he got certain muscles to start doing the job their were designed to do.

3. A body is stronger when the load joints are aligned. Let's say you throw a right cross. You want your ankle, knee, hip, and shoulders all pointing the the same direction as your punch. Turn your knee and hip in a different direction as your shoulder and you will feel a significant decrease in power. Some people are unable to obtain proper alignment because of their postural issues. This takes away from their max potential when it comes to generating power in their punch. As your student has come closer to being able to naturally have those joints aligned, his power has increased.
Michael Jen

Licensed MBF Practitioner
Michael Jen
Site Admin

Postby Radek Sefcik on Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:13 pm

Very interesting analyze. IMO, I think MBF has more "dramatic" efect on his stand up game then on his BJJ game, because of much more movement, skipping and walking stuff, while working his stand up.Simply - center of gravity has to be in neutral . There is NO.1. key element while working "anything" in stand up and that is BALANCE. A lot of people actualy think that they already have it, however from my experience very very few people have it "all the time" while blocking, counter -punching, changing the levels,...etc.And even less people know how to properly train it. Without proper balance, there is no way for proper tight defensive and offensive structure. So MBF pretty much helps him establish first building block and everything else just come from there.For example - power punches come not just proper alignement but also from "diving" and hip action. While all these 3 are critical , the most critical one is ...stay "balanced" while keeping all these 3. So you can have proper alignement in the world but if your " sense" of balance is not there...well it is not gonna work properly.
From my observation, his "sense of balance" and proper hip action has increased dramaticly - thanks to MBF:)

Thanks again,

Radek
Radek Sefcik

Postby Michael Jen on Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:50 pm

Remember that I said all the reason I gave were interconnected. Without proper alignment, you can't have neutral center of gravity. Without a neutral center of gravity, you have less balance. Without balance, your offense and defense suffers.

On a side note, my instructor said that it was extremely beneficial for children to move and grapple on the ground when they are very young. I'm going to see him this weekend, so I'm going to ask him in more detail why that is.
Michael Jen

Licensed MBF Practitioner
Michael Jen
Site Admin

Postby Radek Sefcik on Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:21 am

Yes, interconnection is definitely critical. But, keeping balanced state is the very first thing. This is like building house from ground zero. And base is balance here. There is no way to start from end:) Even if there is huge cross over between tight offense, defense and balance - I personaly saw many people with brutal punching power with proper/so- so/ "punching alignement" but without much balance after that. How is this possible? Simply more "atributed" based punching game. So what I try to say here is that interconnection is here, but without specific logical training order it is actualy uselless. Hopefuly I will explain these principles later, once I will arrive to you in 10 days :lol: I know Rich will love that stuff 8)

Radek
Radek Sefcik

Improvement in the Ground Game

Postby Martin Hartono on Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:26 pm

A student of mine actually improved his ground game too by joining MBF Program. He had a weak lower back until 2 months ago. They guy already has a strong upper body strength, but always had problems on his hip work. Now he is more able to do movements that require lower back actions (like closed guard and stuff).
Martin Hartono

Return to Muscle Balance and Function Posture Therapy