Therapy
Articles
Forum
Solution4Pain.com

Push/Pull Ratio

Discussion of any topics related to health and fitness

Push/Pull Ratio

Postby Michael Jen on Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:51 pm

When doing body weight exercises, I was wondering if anyone out there actually paid attentioned to their strength ratio between pushing and pulling motions. For example, if you did a certain number of push ups, you made sure to do a certain number of pull ups.

I know that I never paid attention to it in the past (and no personal trainers I have worked with ever paid attention to that ratio) and I know what most people's number of push ups is far far greater than the number of pull ups.

By the way, I know that you aren't supporting all your bodyweight when doing regular push ups, however, you can do with with your feet and legs elevated so you are supporting most of your body weight.
Michael Jen

Licensed MBF Practitioner
Michael Jen
Site Admin

Postby Radek Sefcik on Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:28 pm

Yes, I really pay attention to that. Usually I do 50/50, but sometimes I also switch pull and push days as well.
In past I was also curious about push/pull leg principles, ...I mean working quads and hamstrings with 3:2 ration. However , once I started to work it 1:1, my overall leg strenght started to jump up dramaticly!!! So I would be curious about other guys experience in this area.

Radek
Radek Sefcik

Postby Michael Jen on Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:19 am

So when you say you do 50/50 (or 1:1) are you saying that if you can do 50 push ups in a row, you can also do 50 pull ups in a row?
Michael Jen

Licensed MBF Practitioner
Michael Jen
Site Admin

Postby Radek Sefcik on Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:19 am

with lighter weight/body weight, I use time intervals/20s blasts...kind like TABATA approach), which means that I do approx the same reps. Keep in mind that for example for pull ups, there is no way for me to do the same reps like for push ups. However, in order to to increase difficulty for body weight push ups motions, I use gymnastic rings or hand stand push ups on elevated blocks. This way, you pretty much get it close to pull ups difficulty.

With heavy weight/barbells,../ I use the same rep scheme for pull/push motions. Mostly 5x5 or 5,4,3,2,1 rep range

Radek
Radek Sefcik

Return to General Health & Fitness