Therapy
Articles
Forum
Solution4Pain.com

Driving - Manual/Automatic?

Discussion of any topics related to health and fitness

Driving - Manual/Automatic?

Postby Pamelaann on Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:48 am

I just wondered whether anybody could share their views about the possible benefits of driving (which isn't even a remotely functional activity anyway!) A manual car as opposed to an automatic. I don't think in America you have much choice in this regard s? But here in the UK we still do.

As somebody that had to do a lot of driving for about 25 years come I'm well aware of the effects of how postural dysfunction can set in, as the seated/driving position negates all of the posture muscles anyway.

It makes sense to me that in a manual vehicle you would be giving the body more opportunity to function bilaterally? I have always driven an automatic vehicle, and was wondering about switching to a manual.

I guess giving the body some functional stimulus after driving, in the form of therapeutic exercises would probably be the best course of action, but this isn't going to always be possible.
PamelaAnn
Pamelaann

Re: Driving - Manual/Automatic?

Postby Michael Jen on Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:35 pm

In the US, we have the choice of manual or automatic. I've driven automatic all my life.

Personally, I don't think it makes too much of a difference. An excessive amount of sitting, which includes driving, is not really good for the the body in general and I have not noticed any difference in the bodies of those people who happened to drive manual. In my area, I deal with a lot of white collar workers who sit in desks and in front of computers a lot. That is so destructive on their bodies that something like moving both feet during driving does not seem to have any effect that can surpass the detriment that is caused by the sitting they do at work.
Michael Jen

Licensed MBF Practitioner
Michael Jen
Site Admin

Return to General Health & Fitness